Sunday, January 14, 2024

Reading Profile

 Janna's Reading Profile

 

    I love to read, and I read a variety of types of books. My go-to genre is mystery, and I have read all of Agatha Christie’s novels, many of them more than once. I love the way she creates a puzzle, I love the glimpse into life in the 20's and 30's (and later) in England and other countries. I love her characters, even though some people say they are quite flat. They never seem to be flat to me.

    As I read about the different aspects of novels in The Secret Language of Books (Coleman, 2020), I was able to analyze my reading tendencies some. I tend toward cozy mysteries because I like solving a puzzle and getting to know characters. I love books that show good character development. I also love history and learning about other times and places, so I read historical  fiction and historical mysteries. I am currently working on writing a novel set in 1910 in NYC, so I’ve been reading books set in that time period.

    I do enjoy reading non-fiction, and generally have a fiction and a non-fiction book going at the same time. I love to learn and non-fiction feeds that desire. I love science and have a background in biology (my first career), but I also love history. Connected to my love of history, I also enjoy reading biographies, and I have more recently started reading some memoirs. Memoirs sometimes seem to mix a little fiction into their non-fiction.

    I am not a huge fantasy or science fiction fan, but recently read “Fourth Wing” and enjoyed that, as well as Ursula Le Guin’s “The Left Hand of Darkness.” I liked that last book quite a bit – but I liked when the characters were having conversations more than the descriptions of the action, which seemed rather tedious to me. I do try to stretch my reading interests, especially as I embark on my library career. I am trying to read some young adult fiction because that is the area where I have the least knowledge. I currently work in the youth area much of the time and would like to have a better handle on what is available there.

    I'm curious to know if any of you have particular favorites in the historical fiction/mystery area. If you have some, be sure to mention them in your comment!



Coleman, E. (2020, December 7). The secret language of books: A guide to appeal. Novelist.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5c06ab74da02bc6a8954dab1/t/5ee1411f4e1dae403d9d60dd/1591820576584/NoveList-Guide-to-Story-Elements.pdf

            

6 comments:

  1. Hi Janna! I really enjoy getting to know characters as well. I can relate to you on that last book you mentioned - I just finished Laura Ruby's "Bone Gap" for another class, and it mixed in some magical realism and adrenaline that I was hoping would hit the spot, but instead I mostly enjoyed getting to know the characters and the town setting. I like that you used the word "tedious" - that is exactly how the last 1/3 of this book felt too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well maybe I won't put that one on my list! :) It's interesting how many people are interested in fantasy (more than science fiction). I think some magical realism works for me - I read "The Master and Margarita" and really liked it. But yes, the characters matter!

      Delete
  2. Hi Janna, I love a good historical mystery too! Have you read The Weight of Ink by Rachel Kadish? Also, Ariel Lawhon's works would fit the category and I enjoyed them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karis, I have not read those - I'll put them on my list! :)

      Delete
  3. Hey Janna! It looks like I might learn quite a bit from you this semester, because I am definitely inexperienced with mysteries and historical fiction. Those are two of the genres I chose to read for this class, and I'm eager to learn more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have only read 4 Agatha Christie novels but I really want to read more. I also love character driven novels. Great job on your reading profile!

    ReplyDelete

Week 15 Prompt

Marketing my library's fiction collection My library does several things to market our fiction collection. First, we offer "Recomme...