Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Secret Shopper experience

        It was fun and a little weird to go into a library as a secret shopper. It made me realize that it's really important to have a patron experience, and to reflect on that experience as a way to improve myself as a librarian.
        My visit was largely what I expected. The librarian at the desk that I approached was really busy (she was the only one there, though), and she asked me to wait a minute before helping me. I appreciated that and did not feel ignored - and that's a good reminder to myself that it's OK to tell a patron I'll be with them in a minute. Almost immediately another librarian came out from the back room and she helped me.
        I am a little disappointed in myself that I offered TOO MUCH information about the type of book I was looking for. I should have made her pull it out from me to see how she did it, but I just couldn't manage that. Anyway, she was typing away on her computer while I talked and I really wanted to see what she was doing! She said she was looking in the catalog to see if books were on the shelves or not. But do you think maybe she was also looking up books? So what tool did she use?
        After a bit we went for a walk in the stacks and she browsed a bit and we talked - it was very relaxing and fun. And of course, who doesn't love to talk about books they like? She found several books that were interesting to me. I was looking for mysteries (of course), and one thing she did was to pull a book she had read that was in the general fiction section. She said she thought it would be a good mystery as well. It does look interesting to me and now it's on my TBR list. I know Wyatt and Saricks (2019) talk about how genres are kind of fluid and writers don't always stay within those bounds. So I think as advisors we have to think a little outside of whatever genre the patron is asking us about.
        I definitely felt awkward doing this exercise, partly because I had to go to a place I wouldn't normally go to (and where I don't have a library card), and partly because I just feel guilty "bothering" the librarian. I have experienced that at my own library with patrons, where they apologize for asking for help. I always tell them how much I enjoy helping them and I hope they believe me. I do think the librarian who helped me had a nice time - though maybe she was wishing she could finish whatever project she had been working on!

6 comments:

  1. I just had that happen! I was shelving and a patron asked for something and apologized for taking me away from my job. I told her "this IS my job!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that this was a very awkward but very enlightening exercise! It's interesting that you mention feeling like you were bothering the librarian. That's something we just talked about in a different class - how to remove those barriers that make people feel like they can't ask for help from us or feel intimidated by us. I have a feeling that it's one of those things ingrained in us through movies and other media over the years where librarians are always sour-faced with stern glasses and shushing everyone, but in reality we strive to be the complete opposite. (obviously we have to ask people to quiet down a little bit, but the staff are often the loudest in a building, in my opinion. I'm guessing that's a comfort thing).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha - we were laughing just the other day about how the staff are often the loudest. I said to my colleague that I need to use my "library voice." I'm glad the image of the librarian is changing - I wonder if younger people will have less trouble asking for help.

      Delete
  3. Hi Lorraine!

    What a good point! Maybe I gave away too much to my librarian too, because their suggestions were just too good... or maybe I just got lucky! I also was worried about seeing what my RA librarian was using on their computer to find recommendations, but once again, I lucked out and the desk was positioned just right for me to see their screen. Your comments also made me think about what my own director has told us time and time again: "let the patrons under the hood!" It seems like a silly phrase, but it really is a great practice to keep in mind. Our NoveList Plus subscription can be accessed by patrons as well on our website, and it is always a great idea to show patrons what resources you use to help them, so they can learn themselves! Of course, we do not always have the time or capabilities to do this, but it is very similar to the tried-and-true "walking the patron over to the OPAC" tactic. Teach a man to fish, and all that... and maybe that will make me less useful for RA to that particular patron, but boy does it feel good when they tell you they used the library's online resources to find their own great reads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that idea - "under the hood." Yes, it's good to show them how to do it. And I will turn my screen to show patrons - or go to the public terminal when we're using the catalog. One of our readings talked about just having more conversations even with staff about what we are reading - that having people overhear those conversations will make them more willing to talk about their reading needs - and also things they have enjoyed, which is good for us to know.

      Delete
  4. I felt a little funky going into a library as a secret shopper too. I kept thinking that they would figure out I wasn't actually there to look for books, it was stressful (I learned that I would be a very bad spy). It was also a struggle for me to not give too much info away. I did try to steer my questions once or twice when the librarian was really quiet and wasn't really giving me anything. I also really wanted to tell her about different sites she could use, but I figured that might me a bit awkward. As for 'bothering' the librarian, I totally get that. I have patrons come up when I'm on desk and often apologize for interrupting me. I always try to tell them that helping them is what I'm there for so hopefully they will feel less like a bother.

    ReplyDelete

Week 15 Prompt

Marketing my library's fiction collection My library does several things to market our fiction collection. First, we offer "Recomme...